Sunday, June 12, 2011

LF USA: Week 1

Hey guys,

I decided to wait until the end of the week to recap my experiences so far, and I am glad I did since my big summer project wasn't announced until Friday anyway. But first things first:

As you might have read in my writer bio, I am interning LF USA, a subsidiary of Li & Fung (a global supply chain management firm of which you are sure to hear about in MKTG 101). LF USA is actually a relatively new company which was created through a series of acquisition throughout the last five years, and it specializes in private label and celebrity brand apparel, kids apparel, fashion accessories, footwear and home design. As a production intern, I have been placed in the Youth Apparel Group working with urban brands such as Rocawear (Jay Z's line), Enyce (extension of Sean John), and Beyonce's Dereon. I will be helping out with managing all aspects of the production process from inception through completion as well as working closely with buyers and designers for fit, construction, trims and color approval -

And now to the exciting news! In addition to my day-to-day activities at Kids Headquarters, I will also be working on an extensive group project with other interns from various departments in the company. We will be trying to identify business opportunities within e-commerce both in existing markets LF brands already compete as well as in original-concept platforms we come up with ourselves. To make things interesting, our team of ten is competing against five other groups, each of which has been assigned a similar project (other two topics include sustainability and organic growth). In August, we will be presenting our findings for Rick Darling, the president of LF USA, and the winning team will receive a $1,000 bonus for each participating member. Needless to say, the competition is on, and I can't wait to get together with my team for our first meeting (not in a GSR, so odd!). We have a great mix of students with backgrounds in business (Pepperdine, UVA), merchandising (Indiana, FIT), and design (RISD, Pratt, Otis). So far, it has been absolutely wonderful hearing everyone's different perspectives on our assignment and just hearing about everyone's school programs and past job experiences.

Either way, I will leave it at that for now. I will probably try to do weekly posts to keep this fresh (I am such a a newbie blogger, in case you couldn't tell), so unless I run into Jay Z and absolutely have to share, see you next week!

xx
- Marlena







No comments:

Post a Comment