Sunday, July 10, 2011

Why Waste Time Not Being Happy?

Hi everyone,
Not sure what week this is, time just seems to be flying by lately and honestly I treat summer as a countdown to NSO more than anything else. I don't think I posted last week but I wanted to make sure to tell you all about the wonderful team lunch we had with Barbara Polla, the mother to my boss Ada. I had heard that Swiss people were generally happy,- or was that Finnish people? Either way, Barbara might be the happiest woman I have ever met. The woman is in her sixties but approaches life with more energy and positivity than I do at my young 19 years of age. She was just so very exuberant and genuinely interested in every single thing that anyone had to say. She had an striking presence, you couldn't miss her if you tried- well this may have been due to the fire engine red dress she wore-but still, she was quite a woman.

The team lunch was in NYC last Tuesday so me and Kate, my coworker and Ada's assistant, took the (freezing cold) Amtrak into the city and met Ada, Barbara, Catherine(our PR girl) and her new intern Cristi(on a special program from Costa Rica). We dined on Park Ave. at a lovely restaurant with yellow walls, clearly the name escapes me, but they served yummy bread. We talked mostly about Alchimie, Barbara explained its history and how she and her husband Luigi started the first laser clinic in Geneva and how this developed into a skin care line led by her daughter. We mused about the importance of looking at employees as comrades rather than subjects. Me and Cristi jabbered endlessly about Penn, apparently its her dream school! Win. She is also thinking about Georgetown, I was quick to push that thought out of her head.

But as I said, no matter what it was that we talked about , Barbara was so thoroughly invested in everyone's opinions, enthusiastically leaning over the table to both hear better and show her interest in your answer to her numerous questions.

Kate commented on how happy she was and her answer is what made me love her even more. “What else should I be? Why waste time not being happy?” Amazing. The woman is amazing, and honestly she is so right. Why spend time being sad,stressed,nervous? Life is short. I'm definitely going to carry that along with me throughout life and especially during the school year when I get down about classes, extracurriculars, family, etc. I've just got to remember, time is never wasted when you're in a good mood.

Until next time,
Nanette

ps. here's an interview my boss Ada did awhile ago, watch it if you want to learn more about the company:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aJt0pdh0Kw

1 comment: